By A. Abraham Levin, MD.
Cosmetic surgery is a personal decision that should be met with plenty of thought and careful consideration; there are many physical factors that need to be taken into account.
Here are some tips to increase the likelihood that your future procedure is a success.
Physical Health Tips
Your plastic surgeon will help determine if you are healthy enough for surgery. If you get the “all clear” from them, please follow these tips to ensure that you’re in the healthiest state possible.
- Eat plenty of protein. Protein contains amino acids, or the “building blocks” for cell regeneration, an important part of recovering from a cosmetic procedure. Eating a protein-rich diet ahead of time is a great way to prepare your body.
- Exercise 4+ days per week. Regular physical activity helps to get the blood flowing throughout the body, including the skin, which can help your incision heal better.
- Eat a balanced diet. Do not go on a “crash diet” (such as a liquid fast or severely cutting calories) prior to surgery. This can cause an imbalance in electrolytes and dehydration, not to mention preventing you from getting all of the nutrients you need for proper post-op healing.
- Be upfront about your health & medications. If you have pre–existing health conditions or take medication, it is crucial that you disclose everything to you plastic surgeon. Your life could be at risk if you don’t!
- Quit smoking at least 2 weeks prior to surgery. If you’ve scheduled your procedure enough weeks in advance, stop smoking as soon as you’re on the surgery schedule. Nicotine use is associated with poor wound healing and a host of other post-operative complications.
Schedule a Consultation with a New York Cosmetic Surgeon
Our team of highly-qualified, cosmetic and plastic surgeons are standing by to help you decide if a procedure is right for you. Our specialties include:
Facial Plastic Surgery:
- Neck Lift
- Eye Lift (Blepharoplasty), Upper & Lower
- Brow Lift
- SmartlipoTM Laser Liposuction
- Tummy Tuck
- Mommy Makeover
- Breast Surgery (Augmentation, Fat Transfer, Lift, Reduction)
- Male Breast Reduction for Gynecomastia
- Arm Lift
- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Wrinkle Injections
- Facial Fillers
- Facial Fat Transfer
- Lip Augmentation
- Cheek Volume Restoration
- Liquid Facelift
Call us today to schedule your free consultation for plastic surgery in Manhattan or Commack, Long Island. We can be reached at (631) 499-1831 or (212) 206-0023.
P.S. Don’t miss our Smartlipo NYC patients’ before & after photos in our gallery!
References & Notes:
* SmartlipoTM is a trademark of Cynosure, Inc.
**The information in this post is not intended to provide medical advice or to be used as a substitute for seeking advice and treatment from a medical doctor. Always consult with your doctor before making any health-related decisions.