Many people who have lost a lot of weight end up with a lot of skin left over. As they gained weight, the skin accommodated it, but as the weight came off it didn’t exactly cooperate. Some people turn to this procedure after gastric bypass or bariatric surgery while others may have lost it gradually over time through diet and exercise.
Either way, the good news is that getting rid of the excess skin is not difficult. With a body lift, you can have that extra skin taken off to create a smoother, tighter appearance.
More About a Body Lift
A body lift targets specific regions of the body:
This can include removing extra skin from the arms, breasts, buttocks, hips, thighs, and abdomen. You can decide to get a body lift on all areas or just some of them. Some people will start with an upper body lift and then move down as they get through each procedure.
Others want to have plastic surgery at one time, so they decide to take care of it all at once. Whatever is safest for you will be decided by your plastic surgeon. Not everyone is a candidate for getting multiple procedures at once.
Are You a Candidate?
Not everyone is a good candidate for a body lift. Here’s what we look for:
- You must have lost between 30 to 50 percent of your peak body weight.
- Your skin must be drooping. While you will have some fat in that skin, it’s better you wait until most of your excess body fat has been lost before undergoing the procedure.
- Your weight has stabilized. Weight fluctuations can affect the results of the procedure. It’s best to wait a few months to a couple of years before you get a body lift, so you can be sure you don’t gain the weight back.
- You should be in good health and be able to handle general anesthesia.
- Limit drinking and be a non-smoker.
- Have realistic expectation for the surgery. Speak to your plastic surgeon about what to expect.
- Plan to continue your healthy diet and regular exercise habits.
The Cost of Body Lift in NYC and Long Island
It’s difficult to give anyone a price sight unseen. Body lift costs depend on many factors such as how badly your skin is hanging, whether muscle separation in the abdomen is a factor (potential need for tummy tuck), and what needs to be done to give you a smoother, tighter look. Some options include breast lift, abdominoplasty, arm lift, neck lift, and lower body lift surgery,
The only way to get an accurate estimate is by scheduling a free consultation with one of our highly-experienced and skilled surgeons.
The plastic and cosmetic surgeons at Advanced Cosmetic Surgery of New York in Manhattan and Commack, Long Island can help you decide on what procedures will benefit you the most. They will examine the skin sagging you’ve experienced and provide advice on what your next best step should be.
Congratulations on your weight loss efforts! You made it and we’re happy to help you celebrate with a tighter, smoother looking body. In many cases, with the skin removed, patients are able to increase their activity and lead an even more active life.